Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.fitness.weights
Lee Michaels

Default Handling 150 lbs devices -- my plan

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus23984 wrote:

OK... I think that I have the answer... I have a 8x4 wooden
board/member. If I place one end of it in the middle of my tailgate,
and the other on the ground, it becomes a relatively secure slide for
those 152 lbs devices. There is about 10-12" drop from the end of the
tailgate to the board, but, I think, I should be able to handle that
easily. Lowering that thing to the ground is what is troublesome.

Word of advice (from experience) - make sure that you rig a way for the
board/beam to be hooked to the bumper. Gets painful and exciting when it
slips off the bumper mid-move.

What I have done is just to drill a hole through the ramp top and the tail
gate. Need a bit of touvh up paint for this. Then put a carriage bolt
through them both.

Your tailgate should be trivial to remove. Most American trucks, you
remove the side supports, raise to 45 degrees, and pull up the right
side, then the left side comes out. Dropping heavy large things (even
8-12") onto narrower boards is another recipe for pain.

My suggestion, particularly given the amount of junk you move, is to get
a nice cheap refrigerator dolly - two wheels, a short bit on the bottom,
a long upright/handle section. Then nail up a set of ramps, or one wider
ramp (with some sort of hook for the bumper on either type) and roll
things into or out of the truck. Simpler and safer, and useful in the
long run for other things.

You can get those cheap at costco. I have had mine for over twenty years and
it has saved my ass again and again. You can grab on top and put somebody
on the bottom and lower some pretty substantial weights.

I have also built ramps for these things. I always put down a small ridge a
couple of inches wider than the tires. That way the dolly won't wander off
the ramp. Some 1 X 2 nailed or srewed to the ramp is adequate.