Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Cox

Default use conduit as neutral in low-voltage system?

"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:49:18 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

A neutral is a grounded conductor. How long do you think your transformer
will work with one side grounded?

This is a good question. If the transformer secondary and its load is
a closed circuit, why would having it connected to ground cause a
problem?

Grounding the transformer or the conduit is not the problem. The problem is
using the conduit as a current carrying conductor.
There are many more currents flowing through conductive surfaces than just
the circuits that are intentionally made. Electrical currents happens from
chemistry, thermopile, magnetics, RF, and transient voltages that are
induced when AC current flows through wires enclosed or passing over ferrous
metal pipes, conduits and metal sheets.

When these currents are induced they either build up as in a
capacitor.......or they flow to ground where the free electrons can do
whatever free electrons do. Anyway there are thousands of these little
circuits that come an go. With electronic devices everywhere, transient
voltages often work against the purposes of the intentional electronics.
Sometimes they cause momentary failure..........sometimes blowouts.
Everybody knows blowouts happen........they just don't know why.

So we understand enough about electricity and electronics to make things
work, but we really don't understand everything that is happening. We adopt
certain rules and standards as we discover problems. Our standards change
as we learn or think we learn more.
One of the standards we have adopted is that we don't intentionally use
conduits as current carrying conductors. Yes, it will work........but it
can cause some of the other problems that I have written about and some that
I have not.....and most likely many that we don't even know exist.

Randy R. Cox