Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Rusted water lines?

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
Our house was built in the 30s. Some, but not all, of the hot water
faucets are starting to dispense red water. It gradually clears up if
we run it for a few minutes.

Does this mean that we have iron pipes that are rusting away?

Is there anything we can do about this other than replace the pipes?

Is this likely to be a huge (and expensive) project?

Thanks

--
For email, use

Is this a new thing? Are you on a well or city water? Can you look in a
basement or crawl space to see if you have iron pipes? Cant see it from
here. Replacing pipes would be VERY expensive and likely not the problem.

First suspect, as buffalobill said, is the hot water heater. Probably time
for a new one. If thats not the problem, and you are on city water, I would
ask my neighbors if they see this too. Could have a local water quality
problem. If you are on a well, have your water tested, you may need some
type of treatment.