Ed Huntress

Default OT, sorta - Eyeglass frames, what alloy?

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

It was like aluminum-bronze from hell.

I'm puzzled. I've built up some shafts and a gear using AMPCO 200
Al-bronze with TIG. I would have liked it to flow better but it
machined very nicely. What's up?

Ted

(Wow. That was the most painless installation of a cable modem and software
I've ever done.)

Anyway, the bearing types of aluminum bronze, ranging from 5% to 8%
aluminum, are considered to be among of the nastier alloys to machine. Their
machinability is rated at 20% of the rating for yellow brass, and they're
notorious for producing tough, stringy chips and miserable finishes. They
require good lubrication. Straight oil is best.

I don't know how you got off easy, but count your lucky stars.

Ed Huntress