Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Homemade Lathe

"Michael" wrote in message
k...
Hi,

I need to turn a piece of wood thats 4m (12') long by 50cm (20") wide
(diameter). Would a piece of wood this size be suitable for turning on a
lathe, if I was to make one especially for this purpose?

The item I'll be turning will be a (model) submarine hull.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

A lathe turns things between two points. You can take the ubiquitous old
Delta 12" shop lathe, use the outboard thread and faceplate, mount the
tailstock on a table screwed to the floor the appropriate distance away, and
countershaft the beast to desired speed. As long as you have the two points
fixed in line, you're good.

A long 2x6 "tool rest" and hand planes on the columns I worked with, though
router jigs and such would also work. Keep the heel of the plane on the
rest, skew and go.