Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default JT 2-1/2 Spindle Chuch replacement

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
| Norm Dresner wrote:
|
| IT CLEARLY SAYS: "SPINDLE JT#2-1/2" ON THE NAMEPLATE!!!
|
| Sorry for shouting, but I'm not stupid. I said JT#2-1/2 and I meant it.
| also said that it's 35 years old!
|
| Norm
|

| Geez Norm, I din't recall anyone calling you stupid.
|
| I am starting to suspect, though, given your reply.
|
| 35 years old would put in in an age that would have about half the guys
| here remembering seing this unit new in a showroom somewhere. It also
| makes it closer to brand new than a very large percentage of the tools
| in use in the shops of the guys here. The short of it...IT'S NOT ALL
| THAT OLD!
|
| Split the chuck from the arbor, and compare the dimensions with the
| chart here http://www.newmantools.com/tech/taper.htm . Strangely enough,
| it was found by putting the term "jacobs tapers" into Google. If you do
| not know how to separate the chuck and arbor, ask, or Google.arbor is a
| #2 and the drill was rated 1/2"
|
| I'd bet a nickel (american one even) that the taper is a #2, and that
| the drill was rated for 1/2" capacity.
|
| Have fun! Take yer meds!
|
| Cheers
| Trevor Jones

The label on the front of the DP has two lines, one for Spindle and one for
capacity. The spindle line clearly says "JT#2-1/2" and the capacity line
says "1/2 inch". Since there's a separate line for capacity, I saw no
reason for them to have lied on the spindle line. BTW, this is an
American-made machine produced in PA and I sincerely doubt there was any
language problem.

I found the four-page "Instruction Manual" for the DP and unfortunately it
says nothing about the size of any component.

BUT ... here's some interesting info from that manual that I had been
unaware of:

1. The chuck is a force-fit onto a tapered spindle -- and the instruction
manual describes it as a "Morse Taper", not a JT!

2. There's a nut that's threaded onto a cylindrical portion of the spindle
above the chuck and the manual says to hold the pulley while turning the nut
to force the chuck off the spindle.

SO ... Let's assume that we don't know what the taper of the spindle really
is [i.e. it seems to be either Jacobs or Morse] and we're unsure of the
"size". I'll try to get the chuck off the spindle this weekend and measure
it.

Do you know of a chart for MT as well?

Norm