Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default Garage/Workshop construction

Christian McArdle wrote:

WALLS
Should they be of cavity construction, filled with insulation - or
single brick with some exotic material or other fixed to the inside?

The latter. Build a studwork frame inside the brick outer. Fill frame
with Kingspan. Line with 12mm WBP ply. This means you can screw and
mount things really easily. If you feel you might convert the garage
into habitable space in the future, put some additional insulation in
front of the studs as well.

I'm currently undecided about a flat (felted) or pitched (tiled)
roof. What's the best way of insulating it? I'd rather like exposed
beams from which I can hang things - and to make use of the
available storage space if I go for a pitched roof - but still need
to get some insulation in somewhere. Any thoughts?

Kingspan again. Use breathable membrane under the tiles and wedge
Kingspan right up to the surface. Better still, insulate between and
above the rafters.

ELECTRICS
Haven't really thought about them yet, but I shall need some light
and power. I assume that they will have to be Part P compliant, even
if the structure is exempt from building regs?

Yes. Run at least a 32A circuit to the garage.

Christian.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
--
Cheers,