Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

Default Garage/Workshop construction

John Rumm wrote:
Ian White wrote:

I have the same problem coming up here, and am finding it hard to
decide between:
1. Shelling out for new PVC DG units... but it's only a wooden
workshop, so that option could easily go OTT in terms of cost. Where
*is* the absolute cheapest end of the market in new windows, anyway?
2. Trawling the local DG suppliers for mis-measured units they want
to get rid of. Not much luck there, so far - all the ones available
locally are proportioned for houses, and would look daft in a low,
single-storey workshop.
3. Using new or reclaimed sealed glazing units in wooden frames...
storing up repair/replacement work for later?

Option 4 (which worked for me) visit local reclamation yard and pick up
a complete DG window with frame for 20 quid.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that one too. The local DG makers are
happy for me to go skip-diving, but out here in the country we're still
decades away from replacing old DG.

Reclamation yards are something they have around cities, aren't they?
Around here, decent building materials aren't left lying around -
they're more likely to vanish before you can even blink. (This whole
house was built from top-quality materials, courtesy of king and
country. When the troops marched out of the army camp in 1946, the
locals marched in and recycled the whole place as a service to the
environment.)

--
Ian White