Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Hawke

Default Bill Maher

Anyone with half a brain can understand that over the years the US
has killed innocent people by the thousands. The only difference is
that some Americans can't accept that we do the same thing terrorists
do so they concoct some kind of goofy fantasy where our killing
innocents is acceptable but when others do it's a horrendous crime.
Any reasonable mind understands that the only difference between what
we do and what others do is the excuses we use are different.

Hawke

More like the intent or how it happens the loss of lives. You made a
blanket statement that has flaws. In so many events Iraqi military
used civilian shields so you mix that into your stats. I remember
during no fly zones they would use tripple a fire in residential areas
or areas with high asset levels like oil pipelines to strategically
deter our return fireI bet if you look overall what we do and other
countries do you would agree we still are angels comparitvely.

Sorry but we're no angels no matter how you look at it. Intent is important
and in that regard we are different from the terrorists. They target non
military targets intentionally and seek to kill innocent people. We aren't
doing that. But we are killing a lot of innocent people nevertheless. To
some the idea that we aren't aiming at them on purpose seems to make a big
difference. To others and especially those we kill and their families it
doesn't make a bit of difference. To them all that matters is that
Americans killed their family members.

There is also the case to be made that the excuse that we only kill
innocent people by accident, which makes it okay, is not valid. In the law
if you cause damage by your actions you are responsible whether your action
was intentional or not. The idea is this; was it forseeable that your
action would cause the damage. If it was forseeable then you are liable for
the damage. I would suggest that if we drop a 500lb. bomb in a highly
populated area of Baghdad because we want to destroy a target it is
forseeable that we are going to kill innocent people. According to that
view, our killings are no less wrong than the killings of the terrorists.
The terrorists are guilty of intentionally killing innocent people. We are
guilty of the same thing because a reasonable person could see that our
actions would kill innocent people. Which means the US is really no better
than the terrorists because we know our actions are going to kill innocent
people but we go ahead and do it anyway. The bottom line is as I said, we
kill more innocent people than anyone else and have done so for a long
time. We have our excuses but the innocent people are just as dead whether
we were trying to kill them or not.

Hawke