Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Devonshire

Default tightening a chuck

On the day of Thu, 02 Mar 2006 04:02:06 GMT...
(Devonshire)
typed these letters:

Sounds reasonable to me. I've drilled quite a bit of stainless steel
on a Delta 16" drill press were I used to work. At times I was
drilling 1/2 " or larger holes in 1/4" to 1/2" thick stainless flat
stock. Occasionally I would have the bit lock up and the chuck would
keep spinning as the bit broke through the bottom of the steel.
Someone I was working with recommended that I tighten the chuck at all
3 holes. Sounded silly to me at the time but it worked.

Devonshire

I forgot to mention... the chuck on this delta drill was a "ball
bearing Jacobs chuck"

Devonshire