Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Handling 150 lbs devices

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ignoramus23984 wrote:

I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
"shop crane", but that is a hassle.

I do generally deadlift 170 lbs, but I am a little afraid that
unloading is a different kind of movement and is more injury prone. I
am not really all that worried to damage the devices, each cost me
around $6, but I do not want to get injured.

So, I am looking for some simple unloading ideas that could make it a
little safer. Such as, perhaps, to put a "step" close to the tailgate
so that I could first lower the thing on that step, and only then to
the dolly.

Do what we do when we unload our 500# atvs. Find a ditch or an embankment
that matches the tailgate of your pickup. Back in. Unload.

Steve