Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default use conduit as neutral in low-voltage system?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I'm planning a remote control lighting system. There are two parts
of this system: 1) the low-voltage 24VAC signalling side and 2) the
120VAC power side. Each side runs in its own separate thickwall
conduit.

I understand that conduit can be used as the grounding (green)
conductor in many cases, but my question concerns NEUTRAL (white) in a
low voltage system.

Can I use the conduit as NEUTRAL (white) on my 24VAC low-voltage side?
If not why not?

Because it will confuse the crap out of the next guy that works on the

thing? No idea what code says, but it seems a pretty silly way to save ten
bucks worth of wire. And if that conduit is bonded to the house ground and
therefore the other conduit, I forsee lotsa problems with GFCIs and misc.
electronics in the house.

But I'm no EE or licensed electrician, so I'll step aside now and let them
weigh in.

aem sends...