Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default 12VDC - Have I blown my KIT?!

wrote:
HELP !

I have a piece of audio equipment (M-Audio 410 firewire audio
interface) that
requires 12V DC (1000mA) I bought it in the states with a US adapter
and step down convertor (240-110). Everything was working fine until I
thought I should go out
and buy a UK voltage adapter to replace the cumbersome setup of AC
adapter - step down transformer - US/UK plug.

I bought a '1000mA Variable Voltage AC/AC Adapter' with a 12V setting.
After plugging it in, the lights came on and then went out on the
device, andthen nothing! Is it because I bought an AC/AC adapter and
not AC/DC adapter?? Could this cause the kit to stop working?? Its
gonna be such a pain to try and return this to the store I bought it
from in the US (Im in London), any help would be seriously appreciated.

Regards,
Nick.

You may be lucky and just shorted a protection diode on the power input,
it's worth checking. You can't legitimately return it to the store, you
broke it.