Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

Default Homemade Lathe

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:52:15 GMT, "Michael"
wrote:

I need to turn a piece of wood thats 4m (12') long by 50cm (20") wide
(diameter). Would a piece of wood this size be suitable for turning on a
lathe, if I was to make one especially for this purpose?

The last part makes no sense. All wood is useful. It is the tool
that needs to be useful for the job, and I'm betting you cant afford
that size of a lathe. I saw one once in an Otis Elevator production
plant. Perhaps you can tell us how you are going to make a [safe]
lathe that size to support that weight of wood, and have it cheap
enough for a single job. I have an idea for the last part as I type.

Also since when are submarine hulls round? I'm not sure of the exact
profile, but it tapers a bit towards the top I thought.