Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

Default recommend a small metalworking lathe

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 22:49:43 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Peter Lynch
writes

I'm considering getting a small lathe to turn out some
smallish (5 - 10 cm long, 3-4cm wide) custom parts in
aluminium strictly on a "hobbyist" basis.
I don't foresee a need to cut screw threads bt I may also
need a small milling machine later, if things work out.

General comments like "avoid machines with plastic gears"
won't be much help, but if you do know specific brands/models
are good, or should be avoided that would be very helpful.

I don't want to go mad and if it's going to cost more than
say, 5-600 pounds I'd probably contract the work out.

I bought one which has a mill on it for about £500 from machine Mart

I've casually looked at Machine Mart's stuff, and haven't been
over-impressed with the speed control gear, consisting of an on-off
switch/volume control reminiscent of 1960s transistor radios :-)

I have a Myford Speed 10 with which I'm reasonably happy, having
"graduated" from an ML10 a while ago. It doesn't have a specific
milling facility - I've never really needed that, but I've never been
too keen on the idea of multi-function machines anyway.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland