Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

Default preparing an offer on house that has easement for septic tank in neighbors yard

writes:

Well guys, thanks for your input and suggestions!! I felt like I
owed it to you to tell you how this story ended.

Wow. Thanks for the followup. What a wild story.

Glad you got out of that deal!

"buyers remorse". So yesterday, my wife and I along with the realtor
went to take some more pictures, when we noticed that a trench had been
dug along the neighbors property line all the way to the creek, but the
raw sewage line was still left out. At this point it became clear to
us that the neighbor was the one that either disconnected it, or
something else.

This is the part I don't fully understand. So this 3" line that's
flushing sewage down toward the creek is still out there? Had it
always been? Or just since the neighbor dug the trench? Or what's
with the trench? How are the trench and the tube related? And where
is this septic tank? On the neighbor's property?

Just curious--it's such a wild situation.

The seller is a young girl that was relocated by GE to Michigan and
she is flying back today to find out "what the hel*" is going on,

I wonder if this all may become the relocation company's
responsibility. Sometimes in these transactions, a relo company will
buy the house from the seller somewhere in mid transaction to cut the
seller out this sort of drama.

I think the neighbor duped her along time ago with this septic
easement crap that really is just undergound tubing that runs the
crap into a creek...

Dunno if that makes sense though. What motivation would the neighbor
have to dupe in that vein?

but NOT my problem, thank God for me that this guy decided to
remodel his house and dug up the line to have it out for all to see,
or we probably would have not noticed it going to the creek.

Ah... got it.

A BIG LEARNING LESSON FOR US, never assume that a septic system is
even in place, and I think I am going to try to stay away from
septic in Evansville Indiana, at least within the city limits...

PS I did what some of you suggested, got free legal advice from a
real estate attorney about how to word the sales contract, and that
is what is getting me out of this...we are not gunshy about buying
our first house, but we are definately more aware of things now,
thanks to all!

Very cool. Glad it worked out and you avoided getting stuck with that
**** *snicker*

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/