Posted to alt.home.repair
shibumi

Default Heat Pump - Repair or Replace?

I think I'm at my limit w/ the 5 quotes - I don't think I can deal w/
anymore sales folks!

Regarding the lines, I do have one concern there. One company (higher
bid) said they would replace all of the freon lines as part of the
install - for basically the reason you just mentioned - They said there
could be alllll kinds of crap in there now.

Another company (not the bottom lowest, but a good rep, and the one I'm
really leaning towards), has said they will "clean the lines following
Trane standards" - or instructions - or something.. Point being -
they will clean the lines rather than replace - and they kept insuring
me that that would be enough..

Now, if I'm getting the extended warranty 10/10/10 - should I be
concerned whether they just clean instead of replace those lines?? I
understand that if one of those lines sprung a leak, I'd be left w/ it
- but - as far as any gunk in there causing a problem w/ the
compressor, I'd assume that would be THEIR issue as they decided to
clean rather than replace..

Or - would there even BE an issue if they do as thorough of a cleaning
as they claim?

Thanks again for all of the feedback