Posted to alt.home.repair
Waylon

Default hand-nailing roof?

if the T&G is green it will expand/contract until dried out, no matter how
many nails you put in it. I always use min 3 nails in each truss..

I was referring to IKO and BP (only brands my supplyer sell), as thats what
the customer usually want on there roof because of price.

In my opinion if the T&G has gaps between the boards its better to use
plywood over it. I had always use T&G for the roof until the warrenty issue.
Now I only use 5/8 plywood.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Waylon wrote:
I'm in the roofing biz since the 70's.
There is no difference in hand nailing or using the gun. ( I use Gun in
summer and hand in winter)

Right.

For the type of shingles I would go with the highest quality you can
afford.
If you got a steep pitch roof, your shingles will last longer.

Right.

I would got with roofer B, He knows the problem with using T&G and
shingles. T&G will expand and contract causing the nails to haul through
or
pop. I would highly recommend resheating the roof, but make sure they
nail
the plywood into the trusses. In my area (Newfoundland, Canada) the
manufacture will void the warranty if installed on T&G. Its not hard to
notice a roof that has shingles and T&G, you will always see bumps or
taps
rising.

Not so right. That's not the fault of the T&G, but the roofer and/or
carpenter. It's a nail problem, not a sheathing problem. If damaged
boards have to be replaced, loose ends nailed off and nails set, then
that's what should be done.

Your statement about "the manufacture" (note singular - is there a
specific brand you were referring to?) didn't sound right to me, so I
just did a quick check. Tamko, GAF and Certainteed all state that T&G
is an acceptable substrate. IKO was the only one that mentioned an
issue with T&G. I'd take that to be more of a problem with IKO than
with the sheathing.

If a roofer just starts throwing down shingles without checking that
the sheathing is in good condition and well nailed, you're going to
have problems. There are many ways a roofer can cut corners and that's
one of them. Any time a roofer cuts corners, you're going to have
problems.