Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default siding vs painting

In article , RB says...

We're moving into a wood home we bought. I'm considering having some kind
of metal or vinyl siding put on it, and need some thoughts as to how that
compares with painting.

What's a good range for how many years a house can go between paintings?

I've got an estimate of cost of painting, and an estimate of siding cost.
What's missing is how often we'd need to paint in order to do a long term
cost comparison.

A job done well, at least here in the northeast, can last up to ten years.
That's with not scrimping on prep or paint quality.

You can found out what neighbors' experiences were, and maybe get some
estimates, taking the middle of the estimates and only believing the ones that
will include a lot of prep. Then make your comparison with what a siding cost
would be.

But it's not just cost. Think about what you want/like as far as esthetics, and
how important low maintenance is to you.

Banty (will side it this year)