Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

Default Norm

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:05:07 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

And their imprecise fence setups are amazing to watch too. Loosen and
hit with your fist.

I've never seen them hit it with their fist; they always use their
"fine adjusting tool" (a hammer), which actually is capable of a wide
range of incremental impact forces. I thought it hilarious the first
time I heard it several years ago and still find it amusing. It's also
extremely effective.

In actuality, they are far more precise in their setups than a lot of
"experts" are--as the elder points out, "ol' Bob don't measure much."
They gauge most of their setups on actual tool and/or material
dimensions, or gauge blocks, and rarely use any sort of measuring
device, which could lead to memory or interpretive error.

As for Nahm... He just LOVES to run things through the tablesaw
and router table with his fingers VERY close to some rapidly spinning metal.

Having watched every episode several times, I feel compelled to point
out that the magic of long (telephoto) lenses often makes his fingers
appear much closer to the blade than they actually are. If one is
unaware of the foreshortening effects of such lenses it is easy to get
the impression the fingers are dangerously close, when in reality,
they are every bit as far away as you or I would have them.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.