Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default Mill reccomendations for a robotics team?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mr Robin - I guess my meaning was whether or not this cnc machine could
still use the handles, I guess the answer is no.
Although I feel very comfortable with CAD and programming, I'd still
think that learning to code for cnc and learning to mill at the same
time would be an unnecessary burden.

However, isn't there a way to use a handheld pendent type control to
move the mill "manually" as if one was operating a power-feed machine?

The pendant basically allows the user to "jog" the machine manually.
Essentially used only for setups. I have seen some seasoned machinists at
work use the jog functions (with the little thumbwheel) to machine parts.
The problem is that the wheel does not have precise control over the
machine. There are lags and jumps where your feed is either too small or too
large (50hp, 50000 lb machine rattles the floor in a 20ft radius) as the
machine control tries to keep up with the thumbwheel and also
accelerate/decelerate the machine to the correct position.

The bottom line is that you will be disappointed trying to run a machine
with the pendant. If you're going to buy a CNC mill (in my opinion a mistake
given the work and the environment to which it will be subject), you will
need to learn g-code to write programs, and you will have to learn how to
operate the control (setting up and running tools, programs, work pieces,
etc.)

I'm fairly certain a manual Bridgeport (or knockoff) will machine everything
you robots require, and you'll be able to make actual parts much faster with
less learning and less frustration.

Unfortunately the only way you'll understand my perspective is to actually
learn how to cut metal, and then learn how to use a CNC machine. I've done
both. I've done more than a thousand hours on a manual mill and over a
hundred hours doing setup, programming and machining on a CNC mill. Not a
lot compared to many here, but enough to know that a student without much
experience who is under a deadline doesn't want to fight with a CNC control
to make a robot.

YMMV.

Regards,

Robin