Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Default recommend a small metalworking lathe

Peter Lynch wrote:
I'm considering getting a small lathe to turn out some
smallish (5 - 10 cm long, 3-4cm wide) custom parts in
aluminium strictly on a "hobbyist" basis.
I don't foresee a need to cut screw threads bt I may also
need a small milling machine later, if things work out.

General comments like "avoid machines with plastic gears"
won't be much help, but if you do know specific brands/models
are good, or should be avoided that would be very helpful.

I don't want to go mad and if it's going to cost more than
say, 5-600 pounds I'd probably contract the work out.

Take a look at the axminster BV20
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/p...the-364774.htm

I looked closely at them when I was thinking of getting a lathe (didn't
in the end, change of plans). IMO they're very good for the price - easy
to adjust, V beds, lots of nice features for the price.

--
Grunff