Posted to alt.home.repair

Default siding vs painting

RB wrote:
We're moving into a wood home we bought. I'm considering having some kind
of metal or vinyl siding put on it, and need some thoughts as to how that
compares with painting.

What's a good range for how many years a house can go between paintings?

I've got an estimate of cost of painting, and an estimate of siding cost.
What's missing is how often we'd need to paint in order to do a long term
cost comparison.

That depends on many things which we have no way of knowing. Is the
house in Arizona or on the coast of Maine? What condition is the
wood in? How many layers of existing paint is on there, what kind was
it, and what shape is it in? What kind of paint are you planning to
use?

In my experience, quality paint correctly applied to a good base in an
average environment will generally last 7 to 9 years. And IMO, if you
have good quality wood siding, that looks superior and adds value to a
house compared to vinyl siding, so I would not cover it up.