Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
darkon

Default tightening a chuck

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

I think it has to do with the fact that the ring with the
teeth is not a perfect fit on the chuck body. Tightening the
chuck tends to cock the ring a bit so it doesn't turn as
freely. Moving the key to a different hole pushes on a
different point on the ring and frees it up.

Ned Simmons

You are on the right track. The fit between the chuck and
scroll can wear with use.

I was talking about a Jacobs type drill chuck, which I think was
the subject of the original post, not a lathe chuck.

Yes, a Jacobs chuck was the subject in the OP. But I would have
been surprised if the thread didn't drift at all*. That's partly
why I copied the question to this newsgroup: to see where the
conversation would lead.

(* It occurs to me that in a metalworking group, "thread" and
"drift" are easily misconstrued. I was referring to the tendency
of a conversation to wander away from the original subject. g)