Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Thermal plasterboard

RatRibs73 wrote:
Just had a bloke round about cavity wall insualtion and I've been told
that I can't have it. It's a stone built property with an inner leaf of
brickwork. Apparently because the inner side of the stone is jagged it
can cause damp problems. I'm thinking that I'd like to insulate from
the inside now so may get in touch with the plasterer who is due round
next week.

Can anyone please tell me...

What are my options? For ease would rather use dot and dab
plasterboard. How much is it? Is it worth it? How does it compare to
cavity wall insulation?

Cheers,
Matt

I know what I would do, and thats frame the inside with 2x2, packed out
using a ply membrane to keep the damp out, and using spacers of scrap to
get it true, infill with Celotex, tape up firmly with Al. tape, and
slap 12mm foil backed plasterboard on the inside, skim and paint.
After laying in new cables of course..and pipes where appropriate.

I guess you could slap up insulation backed board with gobs of no nails
or whatever..but its a bit of a hack..