Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default M.E.K. solvent cement (where to get)

CampinGazz wrote:
I've got a plastic shower tray in the motorhome, got a few cracks in the
corners (someones stupid idea to put a couple of crates of drinks in the
shower tray, then drive halfway around europe)

I've read about some stuff called M.E.K. solvent cement, it's apparantly
sold primarily for sealing a plastic shower tray to the wall, but is also
used for plastic shower tray repairs,

it's in a sealant guny type cartridge, and the blurb says it turns to solid
plastic in 12 hours after being applied,

Problem is i've only found one place that does it, and it's on ebay, and the
sellers postage is taking the **** a little bit to say the least.

Anyone know where i can buy this stuff from a shop? or is it more of a thing
for the static caravan market and thus i need to be near the coast to find
it in those types of shops, (i'm near nottingham)

The only form of MEK I know is sold as liquid polystyrene cement for
plastic models. Ask for "Slaters Mekpak" in a decent model railway shop
(the sort that doesn't just sell a few Hornby boxes, or google for it.
It works by melting the parts together rather than being applied like a
filler in your description. It might work on a shower tray, depending
on the type of plastic.

MBQ