Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

Default Can Someone Do A Calculation For Me?

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:38:27 GMT, "Jay"
wrote:

Hi,

I have had ongoing problems with my gas usage. I thought my old system was
inefficient so I had a new Worcester Bosch 28i combi boiler fitted several
weeks ago, however it seems that I am still gobbling gas like it's going out
of fashion.

I had BG out to reset my meter as I am on a prepay meter and it was on the
wrong settings, but it still is eating gas. I put £10 credit in yesterday
and it has already used £5, so at this rate I am spending £150 a month which
is nuts.

I know that there are lots of factors such as insulation etc etc but I only
have a two bedroom semi and it has double glazing and loft insulation.

Firstly I need to know if I am getting ripped off by BG i.e. is my meter
metering the gas correctly (BG cannot help me on this so far as they have no
records of my payments!)

So as a starting point can someone work out for me if firstly it is even
possible for a 28i to burn that amount of gas in a 24 hour period? It's not
like it is even on full! The boiler clicks on and off so it certainly is not
burning all the time, but if it were burning all the time at full blast,
what would the consumption of a 28i be in a day? And what would that cost?

I know it can be worked out but I wouldn't know where to start :-)

Any help gratefully received,

Well, we are in a 3 bedroom mid terrace, 30+ year old boiler, paying
by direct debit, adequate levels of insulation but a draughty front
door and we pay on average around £25 per month.

£150 *is* nuts.

sponix