Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default Mill reccomendations for a robotics team?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Third of all, If we obtain a CNC mill, is there any way to operate it
manually?

Perhaps not what you meant, but virtually all controls allow for MDI (Manual
Data Input) programming. That is, you can just enter and execute one line of
code at a time instead of writing an entire program.

Given standard canned cycles for facing, pocketing, shoulder milling,
drilling, tapping, etc., I'd argue that one can MDI a part faster than one
can manually machine it. This is even more apparent when the machine has an
automatic tool changer.

The kicker, unfortunately, is that it takes the knowledge of a manual
machinist as well as that of a CNC machinist to efficiently operate a
machine this way. Looking at the picture Gunner linked to, the mill doesn't
include the option for fully manual operation (no handwheels, for example).
This makes the novice's life difficult because you're fighting with a
non-intuitive computer while simultaneously trying to learn how to cut
metal. Steep learning curve.

Regards,

Robin