Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter

Default tightening a chuck

"darkon" wrote in message
Here's a question from another newsgroup. Opinions?

[John is in Britain, hence the "Pondian" reference.]

From: John Hatpin
Newsgroups: alt.fan.cecil-adams
Subject: Hey, chuck!
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:00:34 +0000
Frame of reference: you've got an electric drill, or maybe a
hand-drill, and the bit fits into a traditional chuck, tightened
with a key that slots into one of three holes on the chuck and
meshes with a circular, toothed edge at a 90-degree angle. You
know the deal, I'd guess, unless there are major Pondian
differences I'm unaware of.

My father, God bless him, who knows more about tools than I'll
ever comprehend, tightens the chuck by putting the key into each
of the three holes in turn and giving it a final twist from each.
I only tend to do it once in one hole, on the basis that all
you're doing is turning the collar of the chuck, and there's no
difference between doing that with the end of the key in hole 1, 2
or 3.

Assuming I've framed the question adequately, what's your opinion?
Is my lovely old Dad right?

Yes.