Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam

Default Compulsory water metering

What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago. I had no choice in this, which in my view means that compulsory water
metering is not exactly new.
Strangely enough, on the very same day I got the letter from them telling me
I had to have my water metered whether I liked it or not, their Chief
Executive was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 about water metering and gave a
categorical assurance that no-one would have to have water metering if they
didn't want it. I phoned the Chief Executive's office to ask about this
apparent inconsistency, and was told that "I was using a very restrictive
definition of the word 'no-one'".

Perhaps this is the first time the policy has been tested in court, but it's
certainly not the first time water metering has been compulsory.

Adam