Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Garage Door Drips When Opening in the Rain

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there anyway to stop my garage door from dripping inside the
garage
when I open it in the rain? Is this normal?

Normal for some doors on some garages. Are you a first-time homeowner?

No, first time garage woodworking workshop owner At our old house
the door was one solid piece that swung up so the only drips possible
were at the edges which isn't a big deal and only having a car in there
I couldn't care less. This door is in sections so the drips come
through those gaps and get much further into the garage and all over my
tools. Just wondering if there was a way to prevent it.

The only practical way I can think of would be to build some sort of
drip tray below the rails. I suppose one could be fabricated from
sheet metal. It would have to be low enoug to clear any operating
mechanism of course.

Harry K

I see it! U-shaped with a lip for the screws to attach it. Inside of U
facing the outside, which means they end up angled like little gutters
when the door goes up.

Or, think about actually using some ready-made gutter, available at any home
store.

In my garage it wouldn't work. The cover would have to cover the
entire width of the door as it drips through each section
crack...whoops, does it? I'll have to pay more attention the next time
it is raining. I sure do get dripped on getting in and out of the car
though.

Harry K