Posted to rec.woodworking
Scorp

Default Ping Leon.

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:48:07 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Fence comes off just like that on my LT18?

You can lift the fence up and slide it off?

Yes, robo's 16 must just be that much smaller than mine

According to Torben and his DVD video the ResawKing is not carbide. He says
that it is a "softer" material so that it will not explode if you hit a hard
knot or nail. His estimation is that it can be resharpened 5 to 10 times.
I suspect that if it is a softer material it will have to/can be be
resharpened more often and probably before the band wears out.

Didn't know that.

I have also slipped my drive belt, badly, smelly bad, but you try and
cut a log into quarters freehand with a chainsaw and hand feed it,
binds the blade pretty easily. Hope someone has a suggestion about
the link belt or ?

Well, belts stretch when they are used. I suspect that untill the belt gets
broken in it may need to be retensioned a few times. I will have to mention
that at the ww show later this month when I visit the Laguna booth.

Yes I had to retension the new belt a couple times, only reason it was
burning was the stock feeding through at varying angles and binding
it...still works though I suppose that's one plus for buying
heavier duty equipment, you can beat on it without worry
Besides, cutting up a few hundred bucks worth of maple is worth a new
belt. I have to get a chainsaw mill though to avoid this.

Couple notes about the ceramic guides, some books recommend rounding
the back of the blade, I did run a stone on the back of the blade, but
didn't purposely round it as I figure more surface contact means less
wear on the ceramic backing disc. The side guides are a bit finicky
to set but seem to work well, when I've accidentaly left the DC off,
they don't seem to be affected by particles coming around on the
blade. I also made SURE the welds were well dressed as the ceramic
can be damaged. If you get a blade made locally, maybe lightly dress
with a stone behind the gullets just to make sure there are no high
spots.

The Laguna website forums have lots of good information, and they
don't censor the negative comments, which is good on them. There are
a couple things I don't like about the saw, none of which are major.

Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.
BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps.