Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Martes

Default tightening a chuck

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article M8qNf.53363$3W5.39831@trnddc02,
says...

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:30:51 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
It's always good practice to tighten all the holes in sucession. It
takes out any possible slop in the the chuck,

How can it? The two parts you're exerting force on, are the same parts
in each of the 3 locations.

Hi dave

Could it be that the teeth on the key have a different leverage on the
chuck teeth while in one hole than they do when in another hole??
I always thought the guys who designed the "gear ratio" had it figured
out
so the teeth engaged differently from each of the three holes.

I think it has to do with the fact that the ring with the teeth is not a
perfect fit on the chuck body. Tightening the chuck tends to cock the
ring a bit so it doesn't turn as freely. Moving the key to a different
hole pushes on a different point on the ring and frees it up.

Ned Simmons

Hi Ned

I'd bet you have the right idea. That even makes sense.

Jerry