Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Baluster Shapes, (Musing about balusters and bannisters)

"Arch" wrote in message
Since Dick has lots of pics to study, I hope he won't mind my imposing
an OT muse on his thread.

Funny how a local community's provincial use of words stays with you all
your life. I started to suggest that Dick just drive down the street and
look at porch railings, but something made me look it up first.

Until today I had thought balusters were for inside stairs and
bannisters were for outside porch rails ....wrong! I found out there's
no real difference. My concepts about davenports & sofas, settees &
chesterfields were also off the mark. I have missed the target with many
others.
Any of you ever been taken aback on finding a long and firmly held
concept was wrong? What were you mistaken about? Purists can limit
their errors of conception to woodturning if OT is too painful.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

OT, but in response, my daughter was taken aback when she found out that
"wind chill" was not the front glass on the car! {:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.