Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Default Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim?

It's really cheap and easy to make an offset base. A scrap of 1/2" or
3/4" plywood should suffice. Your router base should have threaded
holes in the bottom, probably something standard like a 10-24 or 1/4-20
thread. You probably have some screws lying around somewhere which
will fit. Take a piece of paper and trace out the screw locations with
a pencil, along with the hole in the center where the bit goes through
the base. Transfer the marks onto your scrap plywood, drill and
countersink the screw locations, drill out the hole for the bit, and
cut out whatever shape you want for the perimeter of the base. Should
take you 20 minutes and $3 worth of materials tops. You can make it
any size you want. If I was doing something like faceframes, where
there's only a little wood upon which to set the router, I'd make a
temporary base that stuck out a good 24" so that it would reach all the
way across the opening of the cabinet to keep the base flat.

If your router is variable speed, I'd do this at around 10,000 rpms.
It'll be less likely to burn the oak and should save you some tedious
sanding.

Josh

N Hurst wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, yall!

What kind of glue do you recommend? I've got on hand some Titebond III
and Gorilla Glue, as well as some Elmers regular Wood Glue.

I suppose I could pick up something like Liquid Nails, but I've never
used it before.

"Good way to do this is to use an offset router base with handle, and
clamp a
thick board to the opposite edge, even with the top of your edging, to
give
you a stable platform ... be sure to route in the proper direction so
the
router doesn't jump away from you."
All I have is the standard PC base and the plunge router base that came
in the pack I bought, and I'm not sure SWMBO will allow another
signifiacnt tool purchase for this project. Are offset router bases
expensive? (i.e. more than $50? :-) )

I think if I can clamp some scrap 2x4s I have lying around to act as a
support I should be OK as to the stability of the router.

-Nathan