Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

Default Compulsory water metering

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Err, wasn't the National electricity grid built during

(effectively)
a nationalised period,

Err, no.

Bollox!

As the national grid was being planned/built in the 1920-1930s I fail to see
how it was a nationalised industry that was doing it.

wasn't the British Gas distribution system
built during a nationalised period,

Err, no.

Bollox!

The gas industry was around a long time before nationalisation.
It even predates the electricity industry by a few decades.

wasn't the railways (1950's)
modernisation during nationalisation?

Err, no.

TOTAL Bollox!!!

The railways have been expanded and modernised throughout their existance
maybe you are confusing going to diesel with modernisation?

However it was run down during a nationalised period.

More total Bollox!!!!

Ever hear of Beeching?

You are being far to
simplistic, it was not the fact that the industries were

nationalised
but the lack of political will to make difficult (electoral
unpopular) decisions that was the problem.

What needs to be done is not a national grid,
but fixing all the leaks in the existing infrastructure and
bringing
in compulsory metering.

Perhaps, but the private companies can't even do that, when they

do
'modernise' they do not do so out of profits but increase the

charges
to customers - I know of no other industry that is allowed to do

that
or gets away with doing it -

McDonalds, B&Q, BA and all the other industries.
All of whom have to charge what is required to modernise.

More Bollox, when have they been involved in the water supply
industry?!

but what does one expect when one is
dealing with a monopolistic industry that we all need if we want

stay alive?....

I live in an area where the water company has been private for the

last
century and doesn't suffer from any water shortages, or supply

difficulties
and its one of the cheapest.
Just goes to show that nationalisation doesn't equal competence or

value for
money.

More Bollox.

why?
Haven't you heard of South Staffs water?
It has never been in public ownership but supplies most of the water in
Birmingham.

I think you need to read more.