Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim?

On 1 Mar 2006 06:23:30 -0800, "N Hurst" wrote:

I'm putting some oak trim on some plywood cabinets I assembled, and the
oak is about 1/8" wider than the edges of the plywood. Rather than risk
trimming the oak on my old TS (risky because of a rather unreliable
fence), would it be OK to simply nail the oak onto the plywood edges
and then use my router (PC 893PK) to trim the excess down with a
laminate trimming bit?

If it is OK, should I use a 1/2" router bit or would the 1/4" bit I
currently have do a decent enough job?

Thanks!
Nathan

First time I did that I screwed up - the router wobbled. All the
other times I did that, I used a larger base on the router and clamped
an impromtu jig (read wide board or 2x4) to the piece to widen the
area for the router to sit on. Either bit should work OK although
I've been using a 1/2". Go slow and if your moving upgrain, run the
router backwards - back of the cutter. Even though this is patently
wrong. A very light cut backwards - move the router in the wrong
direction - then in the correct direction minimizes tearout.

Pete