Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Cooker hoods - Educate me please?

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:41:15 +0000, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

Well after nearly two years, the kitchen is approaching completion. Had Mr
Corgi over to connect the gas hob and 'er indoors decided to try it out by
boiling stuff for about 100 years on all four rings. You can imagine the
condensation!

I wasn't going to bother with a hood, but now I see that it might be
sensible to actually install one.

My problem is that the hob is not near an outside wall. I have looked at
hoods generally and see that most of them are vented through the wall. A few
are "island" hoods that vent vertically.

How do these things actually get vented to outside? A long flexible like a
tumble dryer pipe?

You *can* do that, but it's not very good because of the ridges in the
pipe. It is best to use ridgid round or flat ducting with as gentle
bends as possible. You end up with a trade off between appearance
and fitting into the space vs functionality - i.e. if you run a
120x50mm duct for more than a metre or two and have sharp bends in it,
then you can expect the performance to be pretty poor.

I need something that vents straight up then moves 90 degrees to follow
the ceiling joists, before exiting. A distance of two or three metres.

If you can run the duct upwards, through the ceiling and run through
the space above, you can achieve a lot. In that case, for this
length, go for a 125mm round duct rather than a 100mm one like soil
pipe. If you are going 3m it will make a big difference even if you
use a 100mm duct hood. First it will run better and second it will be
quieter.

So I obviously know little and hoping for some education. I'm not keen on a
recirculating because I don't feel that they will deal with moist air
adequately enough.

These are completely useless. They won't do anything for moisture and
not much more for grease.

Go for a hood that vents and has removable metal filters. These can
be taken out and put in the dishwasher so cleaning is easy and there
are no consumables.

Have a look at http://www.elica.co.uk/

Elica are an Italian manufacturer who produce virtually all cooker
hoods sold in Europe, be it their own or private label for other
manufacturers.

--

..andy