Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Builders/Timber Merchants and T'Internet ..

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:37:51 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Stuart wrote:
This trade seems reluctant to embrace merchandising from websites . I
have not yet seen one that gives anythting other than very general
info .Even the B+Q site at www.diy.com is pathetic.

Why is this .Do they still regard themselves as a TRADE outlet
..altho' I accept thats where most of their business comes from ......
For long enough I am sure they have come across to most people as a
bit intimidating a place to go in to .

The main problem is that most of what they sell has a very high
size/weightrice ratio. This makes shipping it across the country
totally out of the question.

For example, 10 sheets of plasterboard cost about £60. How much do you
think it would cost to ship those cross country?

Almost any smaller item sold in a builders' merchant can be bought
online from screwfix/toolstation/axminster.

I get what you are saying but I wasn't so much thinking of cross
country shipping .I was meaning having a web presence where they could
display all that they sell so that local people could see their stock
on-line and order it for local delivery ....It was timber,sheet
,aterial and the like I was thinking of . I suppose if you know what
you want tho' it's easier just to order by phone and pay by card or
pay the driver .

Stuart