Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Strange pattern on gas-filled replacement windows

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
WirelessNut wrote:
My argon gas-filled replacement windows are six months old. Two of
them have developed strange patterns of silvery purple flecks that
appear to be on the inside of the glass.

Take a look: http://www.704westjoppa.com/window.gif

Any ideas what this could be? Reaction of the gas to something inside
the window? Broken seal on the window?

My window guy is coming out next week, but he hasn't heard of this
problem either.

Other thoughts?

I was thinking something totally different until I say the photo. Call
the window company and have them take care if it. Six months old should
be under warranty.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Me too, Argon is a noble gas so it will not react with anything (that's part
of the reason they use it) I suspect the seal broke and you have oxygen
reacting with the coatings (often made of metallic thin films, so they can
oxidize if not passivated with another layer) or the Argon gas mix was
contaminated from the start.

The pattern has a granular look (grain boundaries) that suggests the coating
is reacting with something (silvery purple sounds like a metallic thin film)
but the lower half appears to have wipe marks. Maybe during assembly they
wipe the glass clean and that solution was contaminated.

Does it look different with polarized sunglasses (like how some car windows
look patterned) this may give you another hint.

Definitely pursue the warranty. I would definately consider that a
manufacturing defect whether that be the coating or the gas seal. In your
state the warranty card may be meaningless, any proof of purchase will
usually do and the installer may have his own guarantee and will make the
claim with the factory on your behalf (i.e. he has warranty with you and
they have warranty with him.)

I assume it looked OK when installed. How long did this take and did it
coincide with any severe weather (very cold or driving rain or high wind)?