Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Are We To Choke On Our Own Shortsightedness (Dishwasher Parts 'Extortion')?

"ballstoyourpartner" wrote in message
ups.com...
Back on Jan. 31/06, I sent the following in an email to Frigidaire
(owned by Electrolux) Customer Service. As I have yet to receive any
type of reply (not even an acknowlegement), I felt it important to get
a discussion going here so that we may find a solution to this type of
short-term thinking and systemic 'madness'. We need to impress upon all
manufacturers that we want to save our money, conserve our relatively
scarce resources and minimize the amount of unnecessary material which
gets dumped into our landfills. Shareholder gain should NOT be the only
determining factor in corporate decision-making. Everything today has
been made disposable but we can put a stop to it if we band together!

With the cost of items being what they are, it is often cheeper to just
replace them. The manufactors don't want to repair items but sell you new
ones. They want only keep the parts to repair the items for a short period
of time. Just enought to get past the warrenty period.
By making the repair parts expensive you are almost forced to get a new
item.