Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. O'Brian

Default spring-tempered stainless wire rings?

You can buy 302/304 SS spring wire(already hardened) in a multitude of
sizes from Mcmaster. Look under "music wire" I have used it and it is tough
stuff.

Randy

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I have a sister who makes light fixtures as a cottage industry. She called
me just now wanting to know how to go about getting or making stainless
wire rings, spring tempered, made from something like 16 ga. wire. I don't
see any people who directly source rings in lampshade-sized dimensions
(like 3" up) so now I'm wondering about making them.

What kind of stainless wire can be spring-tempered?

Is it possible to make a spring-tempered stainless ring using only O/A
equipment? Or is TIG welding completely required?

Any bright ideas?

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington