Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Toilet drain runs 15 feet...

"Bob" wrote in message
Thanks for your speedy response. The clog is definitely in the horizontal
run because I can take a snake and it doesn't get at the clog for several
feet. If I plunge, I can usually get it unclogged as well but you can
hear all the action in the drain pipe and I lose all water in the toilet
(etc).

You are correct, the first vent for the horizontal run is at 9 feet
(opposed to the 3 feet minimum as you said).

Anyway, I am wondering about those power flush toilets because it uses
even less than 1.6 GPF (1.0 or 1.4 GPF) so I am not convinced it will help
me. The pressure toilets look appealing however.

Thanks

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with a long horiz run
at 1/4" per foot.

"The drain is well ventilated after about 9 feet"
What does this mean??
The drain should be vented no more than 3 feet from the
toilet. But I doubt that venting is causing your problems.
Have you determined where the clogging occurs? If you can
plunge it clear, I suspect the clogs are completely within
the toilet .

One of the major causes of clogging in low-flush toilets
is the use of "soft" tissue. This modern stuff wads up
into great clumps which defy flushing. As an experiment,
try switching to old-style tissue for a few weeks.

Yes, you'd probably be happier with the Kohler.

Jim

Since when did they redesign toilet paper? How do you know it is the old
kind?

I agree though, replacing the pipe without a firm diagnosis was premature.
A new toilet would have been much easier. Just running a hose down the open
pipe would have shown if it was sufficient to remove the waste.

Regardless of toilet you choose, the diameter of the trap seems to be the
key to troublefree flushing. 2" trap works quite well. You may in fact
have a partial clog in the trap of your present toilet which contributes to
the clog