Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y
Lee Michaels

Default Cabinet above a radiator

"bob" wrote in message
news
I'm building a large built-in that covers a whole wall between the
fireplace
and the back wall of the house. To one side of the roughly 8 foot span is
hot water radiator, which is 4 feet long. It's a "modern", 1 foot high
tyoe,
not a big cast iron model. The built-in goes up and over the radiator,
with
about 5 inches of clearance below the cabinet. It doesn't get insanely hot
in the cabinet, but I do want to route as much of the heat forward as
possible.
I've thought about designing a curved deflector to curve up from the wall
right at the radiator, then curving forward under the cabinet, in hopes of
diverting the heat to some extent. I also thought about insulating above
the
deflector, as well as covering the deflector itself (possibly .032"
aluminium) with shiny foil to help reflect the heat.
Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

I have seen this done with a flat piece of sheet metal. They insulated
behind it with some aresol foam. It was very simple. I don't see the need
to do anything more complicated.