Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default spring-tempered stainless wire rings?

Grant Erwin wrote:

I have a sister who makes light fixtures as a cottage industry. She
called me just now wanting to know how to go about getting or making
stainless wire rings, spring tempered, made from something like 16 ga.
wire. I don't see any people who directly source rings in
lampshade-sized dimensions (like 3" up) so now I'm wondering about
making them.

What kind of stainless wire can be spring-tempered?

Is it possible to make a spring-tempered stainless ring using only O/A
equipment? Or is TIG welding completely required?

Any bright ideas?

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Ideas -- you decide if they're bright:

* Yes, you can get SS spring steel. Check http://www.smallparts.com.
The heat treat looks -- interesting.
* Braze (or solder) instead of weld -- depending on the stainless.
* Instead of the usual lamp loop with one wire, how about a
double length of finer wire, and no weld/braze/anything?
Strength wise it could easily add up to one welded loop,
the amount of work required may add up to much less.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/