Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default What does the number in " 6061 aluminum " mean ?

RoyJ wrote:

"6061-T6" or "6061-T6 Aluminum" will do just fine. If you just say 6061
they will know it is aluminum but will ask you for what temper you want.

pogo wrote:

Thanks for all of the GREAT info!
How would I refer to the number if I were ordering some 6061 aluminum
? Call
it "alloy number" ? "alloy mixture" ?

Or they'll just hand you whatever 6061 they have in stock, and it'll
range from really hard* to really soft.

* I'm not sure of what the range of hardness there is available in 6061,
because I've only got experience with 6061-T6. T6 is the most common,
and if you just ask for 6061 and get it that's most likely what you'll
get -- but you can't be sure.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services