Cordless Crazy Cordless Crazy is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_sussex
Cordless Crazy wrote:
I have one of those wonderful house that dont have patio/french doors.

snip

My question is this:

The current window reveal obviously has the brickwork returned to close
off the cavity on either cheek as in the 60's insulated cavity closer
were not even dreamed of!. So before commencing, would you expect the
cavity be closed off by:

a. brickwork fully bonded to both internal and external skins

defnitely not

b. bricks bonded to internal skin with a full height vertical joint
where it butts the external skin

correct.

60s/70s era would have been a bitumastic felt (150mm wide IIRC but
could be 100mm/4inch??) dpc against the outer wall and cut brick or
block closer turned in from the inner skin plus wall ties inboard along
the wall not too far away

HTH
Cool. Thats wot I suspect. Glad I was thinking along the right lines.