Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

Default Toilet drain runs 15 feet...

"digitalmaster" wrote in message
.. .

"Bob" wrote in message
A toilet I have in my house keeps getting clogged up so one day I ripped
up the floor boards (it is on a second floor) and I followed the toilet
3-inch toilet drain pipe line. To my dismay, before taking a vertical
drop, the drain runs 15 feet. The drain is well ventilated after about 9
feet and is at a steady slope of only 1/4 inch per foot. I replaced the
drain pipe, but there was no damage to the original one so I don't think
that will help much. I built a 1.5 inch pedestal below the toilet to
slightly increase the slope. Even though this is at-or-above the 1/4 inch
per foot slope minimum, is this 15 foot horizontal drain setup "up to
code"?

Unfortunately, the house is poorly designed and it is pretty much
impossible to move the toilet to a different location. Additionally,
there are no possible different routes for the toilet drain. The closest
vertical drain drop is only about 6 inches away but it is only a 2 inch
pipe for the shower, and 1.5 inch pipe for the bathtub (which merge a
couple feet down the wall). Why didn't the builder run the toilet drain
down the same wall? Who knows... I cannot run the drain line down the
same wall myself because the drains go into a solid block of the concrete
below the house.

Secondly, I've been looking at more expensive toilets which may help
reduce the chance of the toilet clogging up in my current setup. My
current toilet it some generic 1.6 GPF toilet. But I am considering a
jet, pressure-assisted, or power-assisted toilet. Kolher advertises
their power-assisted toilet is king when it comes to flushing -- but will
this help me in my situation?

http://www.us.kohler.com/tech/produc...ushsystems.jsp

*Thanks* for any input.

code in my are is 1/8 per foot.so that water will not run away and leave
solids behin..You can actually have too much slop on a toilet drain.

sorry about the spelling errors..was in a hurry