Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Polyurethane glue foams on plastic radiator.

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:13:40 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

MB wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:12:29 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" wrote:

I am trying to glue my plastic radiator tank using Elmer's
Polyurethane Glue just to see if it'll hold. I've heard that this
worked fine on small pinhole leaks by a few people. The
problem is that when ever the glue dries bubbles or foams
are formed on the glue in about 2 hours. The foam is a bad
thing because it's very brittle. What is the proper way to use
this glue so it won't foam?

Thanks

There is a product called "Plastic Surgery" that comes in a tube and
is designed to weld plastics together. I presume the plastic surfaces
need to be DRY. I've used it on an ashtray that broke, and it
restored the product to NEW condition.

I bought my tube of the *stuff* at Kmart in the adhesives isle.

Another idea is actual plastic welding. You can buy sticks of
plastic, and in combination with a heat gun you can weld the plastic
as it melts into the radiator. I would consider that a permanent fix,
after practicing on some scrap plastics somewhere. You need a small
diameter orifice for the hot air exhaust of course. If you don't
already own a heat gun, don't bother, as they are quite expensive.

MB

I'm pretty sure the plastics used in a radiator will be a thermoset type
that will not be thermally weldable, solvent weldable perhaps.

Pete C.

Drill it then, tap it, and put a stainless steel metal screw into it.
I don't know if you're trying to plug a hole or a linear crack. Each
requires a different solution.

MB