Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Handy

Default Help with coat rack

Greetings,

I am planning to make a simple coat rack. I intend to make it out of black
walnut and turn the pegs for hanging coats myself. This is going to be my
first lathe project.

I don't want to do anything unusual with the pegs. Could I make them out of
3/4" stock? is black walnut o.k. for turning? how much longer than the
finished peg should I cut them?

I am also wondering the best way to attach them. They will be attached to a
board with a nice edge profile which will be mounted to the wall. Should I
just tap them in (to holes drilled in back piece) with some wood glue? or
maybe reinforce them with small screws from the back?

One last question. How would you attach this piece to the wall? I am
thinking that perhaps I will drill countersunk holes in the back piece and
screw it into the studs, then cap the holes with little raised and rounded
plugs. My only reservation is that it might be difficult to remove the
plugs without damaging the wood if I want to move the coat rack and I dont
know whether such plugs would be too difficult to make given their size.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph